Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Indecision Points

[This made me very, very angry, which was OK since I was stuck in airport hell and needed somewhere to focus my anger. It's also laugh-out-loud funny. -egg]

Indecision Points: "

The London Review of Books checks out President G.W. Bush's memoir, Decision Points:


Occasionally, someone on Team DP will insert a lyrical phrase - the tears on the begrimed faces of the 9/11 relief workers 'cutting a path through the soot like rivulets through a desert' - but most of the prose sounds like this:


'I told Margaret and Deputy Chief of Staff Josh Bolten that I considered this a far-reaching decision. I laid out a process for making it. I would clarify my guiding principles, listen to experts on all sides of the debate, reach a tentative conclusion, and run it past knowledgeable people. After finalising a decision, I would explain it to the American people. Finally, I would set up a process to ensure that my policy was implemented.'


There are nearly 500 pages of this...



A spot of Foucauldian analysis follows of Team DP, that being the authorial voice in both print and presidency: 'There are no decision points in Decision Points... [instead] a space into which the writing subject constantly disappears.'


'Damn right,' I said [LRB via Metafilter]


"

No comments:

Post a Comment