Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Mouth of Sand

Mouth of Sand:
Mouth of Sand sculpture sand photography
Mouth of Sand sculpture sand photography
Stumbled onto this striking 2010 photograph by Cuban artist Liset Castillo while poking around on ArtStar.
In my new body of work, “Human Studies,” from 2010, I subvert notions of enduring beauty with life-size images of women sculpted in a labor-intensive process out of sand, which I then photographed before destroying them. I create life-size sand sculptures of models typically found in high-gloss fashion magazines, photograph the works in sand and then I destroy them as a commentary on the ephemeral nature of beauty, America’s obsession with youth culture and decay.
See more of her work at Black and White Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment